Saturday, January 30, 2010

Venue-Specific Training


This morning was my first of two training sessions. This one was specifically on working at BC Place Stadium (my "venue" in Olympic-speak.) Monday's training is job-specific on how to work in the Venue Communications Centre ("the brains of the venue" as we were told today--I'll try not to let it go to my head.)

In typical Don Phillips fashion I left the house too early to catch the SkyTrain so I was in the neighbourhood of the Stadium an hour early. Fortunately Starbucks came to my rescue.

The Stadium is not secure yet (happens later this week) so entering the area was easy until I found the right building. The woman at the bottom of the stairs said I could not go up without my credentials (which I don't pick up until Tuesday.) I told her that the e-mail instructions from my supervisor clearly stated that I did not need my credentials for today's training. She didn't care. It was only after 10 minutes of discussion and three other people with the same story showing up that she just threw her hands in the air, sighed, told us it would be her first and last day, and told us to go on up.

At reception we checked in, handed in our signed confidentiality agreements, and picked up maps of the Stadium and lists of important locations and phone numbers.

There were about 200 people for the training; about 90% middle aged or older women. I guess their kids are older so they have time to volunteer?

Using PowerPoint (naturally) then went through some stats and important information about BC Place Stadium. There are 9,700 people accredited to work at the Stadium including 1,300 volunteers. There will be over 3 BILLION people watching our opening ceremonies. There are five BIG days: the two rehearsals for the opening, the actual opening ceremonies, the closing ceremonies, and in March the opening ceremonies for the Paralympic Games. There were 72 tractor-trailers scheduled to be unloaded just today. Whew.

Like the military, everything seemed to have an acronym for which the presenters kept apologizing. As part of the communications team, I need to learn many of them.

They stressed that we need to arrive on time, go to the proper secured entrance, take public transit, leave food and personal belongings at home, stay rested, and have fun. They said to pretend like you were going through airport security--although they stressed that there will be no U.S.-style removing of shoes.

We then divided into our teams and I met my managers for the Venue Communications Centre (VCC, of course.) The manager is from Boston and had the same job at the Games in Salt Lake City. Our deputy manager has been working with VANOC ( the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games) for a while in a different position. They made great first impressions.

They gave us a bit more background on the VCC and took us on a brief tour of the Stadium. The roof is held up by air so the doors are either revolving or involve an air lock. Inside the Stadium looks great and has been spiffed up for the Games. We were not allowed to look onto the field. TOP SECRET. 

They took us back to the building we started in (the low white building in the photo directly in front of the Stadium) to show us where the VCC will be located. It is a lovely board room with a wall of windows looking out at the Stadium. They told us how lucky we were as these facilities are often in less than desirable locations. At the Pacific Coliseum (some hockey and short-track speed skating) it is in the bowels of the building. At the curling venue, it is in a building next door in an empty pool!

There will be 24 hour snacks and beverages as well as breaks and meals provided. TVs will be all over to allow us to follow the Games broadcast.

It was a good day. My team seemed to be pretty excited about our task as the "brains of the venue." Now I have two more online courses to take before our job-specific training on Monday.

On the weather front, another mild and drizzly day. People who live in Vancouver must be wet all the time. They told us in the training today that VANOC has people responsible for "puddle management." I can believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment