Thursday, February 11, 2010

Dress Rehearsal #2

Boy do I have a great job. It was back to drizzly and cooler weather today but I get to work indoors with a great group of people doing a challenging and fun job.

Tonight we had the second dress rehearsal at the Stadium. All volunteers were given a free ticket and could buy extra tickets for $50. I worked the late shift so I could enjoy all the fun. (Once again I am writing this on my BlackBerry at the SkyTrain station waiting for my bus home.)

I feel a sense of pride when I wear my uniform in public. (Of course at work the building is teeming with people all dressed the same.) People seem to gravitate towards those of us in blue Olympic uniforms. On the way to work this morning I enjoyed a conversation with a Vancouverite whose son plays hockey in Penticton near Kelowna where I live. We had a good conversation about the Games. He has speed skating tickets at the Richmond Oval. I am jealous.

On my way to the SkyTrain tonight I was stopped and asked for directions--and I could do it! Now I know I belong when I can help others with directions and public transportation information in Vancouver.

When I checked in at the Stadium this afternoon the same lady from Monday was there and recognized me--at least she knew where I worked. I stayed about five minutes talking with the Workforce check in people as they are so friendly, bubbly and funny. They were out of day three treats today (next time) but they guaranteed me that they were not gold medal hockey tickets. Darn.

Everyone I meet on venue from the check in people to the food services people to the police officers who are everywhere to the security guards as we leave at night are all so happy and friendly. It is like we have all drunk the Kool Aid.

During today's shift things were pretty hectic. With more people in the stadium we had more cleaning issues (paper towels empty; toilet paper empty; nachos spilled; trash cans overflowing) and more medical issues. At one time we had three medical calls going on at the same time. Medical calls also required ambulances to be deployed and moved around. Lots of fun on the radios.

Of course more people attending the event also meant more people moving issues during ingress and egress. (Notice how I can use my new vocabulary.)

My call group was very busy but I managed to handle most of it. I even earned a gold star from not just my boss but my boss's boss. Of course after that the others just made fun of me.

We even had some new people on board today who had to learn the hard way and just dive in. I met one of them at check in. He was here with a large group from Canadian Pacific. He was nice enough to give me a Canadian Pacific Olympic pin for my collection.

On the television we watched the Olympic News Channel. Who knew there was such a thing. We also now have a selection of special channels that broadcast scenic camera views from around Vancouver and Whistler. They are called the beauty cams.

It was a long shift. By the last few hours we were applauding the resolution of a bloody nose and laughing about a report of a washroom wall leaking water. By the end of the night we were all doing the wave around the table.

Friday will likely be the busiest of days at the Venue Communications Centre (VCC) with the Opening Ceremonies. Fortunately I don't have to work because I have a ticket. I'll be the one calling the VCC with a nose bleed from my seat in the nose bleed section.

I left tonight on a high with my gold star shining on the back of my hand. On my walk to the SkyTrain I can see the moving lights of the Vectorial Elevations display shining on the clouds. Sigh, this is such fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment